1 medium-sized fish, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled then minced
1⁄4cup of vinegar
1⁄4cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
1 cup of water
4-5 pieces of bay leaf
1 red chili pepper (optional)
3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Combine all the ingredients except for the cooking oil and sugar in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the sugar according to your taste.
- Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn the fish over halfway through the cooking time.
- When the fish is thoroughly cooked and the sauce is has thickened remove it from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve with steamed rice.