Extra-virgin olive oil (or olive oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 pounds small calamari or squid (baby squid work best), cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup vinegar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Squid ink (separated from the calamari/squid)
1 California long green chili (with mild heat), pierced with the tip of a knife
4 bay leaves
2-3 cups steamed white rice
- Over medium heat in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, saute the garlic and onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the calamari and saute the calamari for 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, water, sugar, ink, chili and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Take away the calamari and set aside.
- Keep on cooking the sauce until it slightly thickens.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Put back the calamari and cook for another 2-3 minutes then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the rice and calamari together while still hot.
- Optional: Toss the steamed white rice in the saucepan where you cooked your delicious Asian Adobo Calamari. Mix until sauce is distributed evenly then serve. Enjoy!