3 tbsp. canola oil
4 beef short ribs
1 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt, to taste
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
3⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
3⁄4 cup soy sauce
24 cloves garlic, peeled
3 bay leaves
3 small red Thai chiles
Cooked white rice, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high.
- Season ribs with salt and 1⁄2 pepper; working in batches, cook, turning as needed, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon, discard excess oil from pan.
- Stir in remaining pepper, the stock, coconut milk, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and chiles; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until meat is falling off the bone, 21⁄2–3 hours.
- Transfer ribs to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Simmer sauce over medium-high until thickened, 18–20 minutes; pour over ribs.
- Serve with rice, if you like.