1 kilo / 2.2 lbs pork
Oyster sauce – 1 1/2 Tbsp
Brown sugar – 2 Tbsp
Soy sauce – 1/4 cup
Garlic – 6-8 cloves, minced or crushed or chopped
2 Bay leaves
Freshly ground pepper (or whole black peppercorns), to taste
8 oz fresh mini-bella/portobello mushrooms, or 2 – 4 oz shiitake mushrooms
A few drops of sesame oil
- Clean the pork. Cut up the pork adobo style – about 1 1/2 – 2 inch cubes or chunks. They will shrink as they cook so I make it a little bigger.
- In a deep pan or a Dutch oven, mix the soy and oyster sauces, sugar, garlic and ground or whole peppercorns. Coat the pork with the sauce. Insert the bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low until pork is tender between 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
- When the pork is already tender, add in the mushrooms. Continue to simmer until the mushrooms are cooked and tender about 5-10 minutes.
- Add a few drops of sesame oil. Serve hot with rice.