1 lb. shrimp with head intact
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons dry sherry or rum
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cooking oil
5 pieces dried bay leaves
½ tablespoon whole peppercorn
- Combine vinegar, rum, minced garlic, and soy sauce, and ground black pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Combine AP flour and cornstarch. Mix well and then set aside.
- Put the shrimp in the same bowl. Marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot.
- Add the dried bay leaves and whole peppercorn in the hot oil.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and then dredge in the flour and cornstarch mixture.
- Deep fry the shrimp for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the texture becomes crisp.
- Arrange in a serving plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with adobo dipping sauce (which is 2 parts vinegar and 1 part soy sauce with whole peppercorn and minced garlic). Share and enjoy!