4 tablespoons annatto (atsuete) oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 kilo beef short ribs (tadyang), cut into 3-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon green peppercorns
1 tablespoon red peppercorns
1 tablespoon white peppercorns
3 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 pieces star anise
2 bay leaves
1-2 pieces bird’s eye chili (siling labuyo)
5 cups chicken stock
- Heat oil then sauté garlic.
- Add short ribs and sear to brown.
- Add vinegar and simmer – don’t stir until the vinegar boils and releases its acidic odor.
- Add peppercorns, patis, salt, star anise, bay leaves, and chili peppers.
- Pour in stock and braise the ribs, covered, for about 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce then simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Return the ribs to the pan and cook for a few more minutes.