6 to 7 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 kilo beef short ribs (tadyang),
cut into 3-inch pieces
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
4 to 5 pieces star anise
2 to 3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon brown sugar
black pepper to taste
toasted sesame seeds and tom yao for garnish
steamed bok choy and steamed rice, to serve
- Sauté garlic in cooking oil until soft and fragrant. Add tadyang and sear on all sides.
- Add red wine over high heat and cook until reduced to half. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and water. Do not stir until mixture is simmering.
- Add star anise, bay leaves, and brown sugar. Season with black pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 hours until fork tender. Skim excess fat that rises to the surface.
- When done, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and tom yao. Serve with steamed bok choy and rice on the side.